I offer all new clients a free 15-minute consultation by phone. This gives you time to ask any questions you have. You may want to ask about my education, experience or credentials. I’m happy to answer questions about the type of counseling I do and the experience I have with certain disorders.
During a phone consultation, I often ask new clients what issues they are coming to counseling for. People usually seem surprised by this question. I ask because it’s important to me that you have a counselor who is qualified to treat your disorder. There are a lot of issues people can have. No counselor can possibly have experience with every issue.
Ethically, counselors are only allowed to see clients when they have work experience or education which qualifies them to see that client. Despite this, most counseling offices act like they can see any client. They don’t give any thought to whether they are the best counseling service for you. Wouldn’t you rather go to a counseling office that will honestly refer you to another counselor if they are a better fit for you?
If you have a free consultation and it turns out I’m not the best counseling office for you, I’ll try to refer you to someone in the area. People are often surprised by this as well. I see it as my ethical responsibility to refer someone if there is another counselor who can better help them.
If you’re interested in a free consultation, you can call me anytime at (724) 812-9895. Please understand that I don’t have a receptionist. If I don’t answer, I’m probably with another client or otherwise engaged. Please leave a message on my confidential voicemail. I’m the only person with access to this voicemail. I’ll call you back as soon as I’m available.
Question Ideas for a Counseling Consultation
- What are your credentials?
- What are your specialties?
- What type of counseling do you do?
- Where did you get your education?
- What work experience do you have?
- What trainings have you taken?
- What ages do you work with?
- Do you have experience with (OCD, Panic Disorder)?
- What percentage of your clients have (Anxiety, Depression, etc.)?
- What percentage of your clients are (Older Adults, Adults, Adolescents, Children)?
- Do you know (CBT, ERP, DBT, ACT or other treatments)?
- Do you have any certifications?
- Do you belong to any professional organizations?